Hey there, lovelies! Valentine’s Day is around the corner I started my research for a DIY project for my boyfriend. That’s when I found this amazing idea of how to make heart shaped tea bags on Pinterest! How cute is this?Valentine's Day is around the corner, and if you love DIY projects, these heart shaped tea bags are for you! Click To Tweet
I have to be honest. This is not an easy DIY project and it takes some time depending on how many tea bags you want to make.
I also did this same project for Mother’s Day and my mom loved it. Definitely a great gift for any tea lover in your life.
*SOME OF THE LINKS IN THIS POST CONTAINS AFFILIATE LINKS AND I WILL RECEIVE A SMALL COMMISSION IF YOU MAKE A PURCHASE AFTER CLICKING ON MY LINK*
I love this idea because the materials for the project aren’t a lot and they are easy to find. At least many of them were already in my house.
Heart Shaped Tea Bags Supplies
- I got the Agatha’s Bester Tea Filters (teapot size) on Whittard. If you don’t have that store near you, you can get these tea filters from Amazon instead. Just make sure to get the size large.
- White thread.
- Construction paper, for the heart stencil and the tea tags.
- Heart Lever Punch.
- A funnel, or something that will help you to put the tea leaves inside the filter.
- Tea Leaves. I picked flowers tea, some green tea, and chocolate tea. (My mom is a fan of tea, so we have many from around the world.
Steps For Heart Shaped Tea Bags
1. Make the stencil. Cut the construction paper in the shape of a heart.
Make sure that the heart shaped stencil fits the size of the tea filter. Try to make it as big as possible so enough tea can fit inside the filter.
2. Add some tape at the back of the stencil so it won’t move when you start sewing around the heart.
Be careful with this step. Touch the tape a few times so it won’t be too sticky when you put it on the tea filter. Some tapes can damage the filter at the moment you remove the stencil from the tea filter.
3. Place the heart on the tea filter and start sewing around it.
I sewed leaving some space between, because the tea leaves are big and won’t fall out of the filter; but if you are using tea from regular tea bags, then you need to sew leaving almost no space between each stitch or the tea will fall from the heart shaped tea bag.
Like I said, you just need to make sure the tea won’t fall off from the heart shaped tea bags.
4. Leave some space to fit the funnel.
Like you can see in the picture, don’t sew the whole heart. Leave enough space to fill a funnel.
If you don’t have one at home, you can make one with paper. You can follow any of these tutorials.
5. Fill the filter with your favorite tea!
6. Distribute the tea leaves inside the heart
7. Finish sewing the heart.
If you did the running stitch, then you will want to do another round of stitches to leave everything in place and make sure the tea won’t fall off.
After you are done, make a knot at the end to seal the tea bag.
You can follow this tutorial to tie off the heart shaped tea bag.
8. When everything is done, cut around the heart making sure to not cut too close to the stitches.
And TA-DA! Here we have our beautiful heart shaped tea bags.
We aren’t done yet but we can take a few minutes to admire or hard work.
9. Take the lever punch and the red construction paper and start making the smalls hearts. Cut as much as you need.
10. Take the needle with thread and go through the tea tag. You can make a knot at the bottom of the tag or secure it in a different way.
11. With the needle, go through the center top of the tea bag and pull the thread to the desired length.
12. Tie the thread in a knot, then cut the remaining thread off.
There you have it! A heart shaped tea bag ready to give to someone you love or to enjoy yourself.
Did you liked this DIY project? It might seem like a lot of steps, but it’s definitely worth to try.
The tea lover in your life will love these heart shaped tea bags! If you make them, let me know in the comments and send me photos.